NATIONAL VINTAGE GUITAR & AMP WEEKEND - Canberra

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dominic
Blackwood

NATIONAL VINTAGE GUITAR & AMP WEEKEND - Canberra

Post by Dominic » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:24 pm

Hey, I just saw a flyer for this event in Canberra this weekend. Looks interesting.
Dom

"A BIG vintage event is coming up when Dr Zot, Mr Lark and friends present the first NATIONAL VINTAGE GUITAR & AMP WEEKEND in the nation's capital on Sat 21 March (10am - 10pm) and Sun 22 March (10am - 6pm) at the Statesman Hotel, Curtin.

A big comfy room will have scores of vintage guitars and amps from around Australia on display and for sale, plus in the adjoining room we'll have guitar and amp workshops and demos.

Acoustics, resonators, electrics, steel guitars, vintage and retro amps... we'll have the lot. You'll be most welcome to get hands on with the instruments, and if you'd like a free appraisal on any pre-1980 guitar or amp just bring it in.

Entry is just $10 for a weekend pass. If you wish to consign some pieces on the day just drop me an email.

Main Exhibitors - will have lots of fabulous guitars and amps:

* Jackson's Rare Guitars (NSW) * Zone of Tone (ACT) * Lark Amps (ACT) * Skip Sail (VIC) * Berketa Guitars (ACT) * Copley Guitars (ACT)

Performances and Talks - half hour sessions at the following times:

* Saturday 21 March * 12noon Official opening - a big C chord and howdy!* 2pm Acoustic Fundamentals - Ian Stehlik on what makes a great steel string guitar * 4pm Resonator Review - Skip Sail playing various Nationals * 6pm Blues Tone - Steve Russell dives down into deep blue sounds * 8pm Favourite Fenders and Tele Tone - Dr Zot and special guests

* Sunday 22 March * 11am Berketa Review - Kevin Windross demonstrates Ray Berketa handmade guitars * 12noon Sneaky Guitar - 'The Rev' Trev Dunham with acoustic soul and chat * 2pm Steel Secrets - slide into lap steel sounds with Ernie Van Veen * 4pm Best in Show - reviewing our favourite guitars and amps

Email us if you need more info. We're looking forward to it already!"
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Localele

Post by Localele » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:11 am

Better mow the lawn the weekend before Dom, You shouldn't miss any sessions there.It has a look of the "Playmakers" and that was just brilliant.Cheers.
Cheers from Micheal.

Remember the "5P Rule".
Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

Clancy
Blackwood

Post by Clancy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:48 am

Would have loved to have gone Dom, but I'm still in Tokyo and don't get back to Canberra until Sunday arvo.
Can you find out if this is a 'one off' or if they're planning on it becoming an annual event.
Cheers
Craig

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:15 pm

I suspect it is mostly dealers trying to flog overpriced 'vintage' guitars, but I will trot along Sat arvo for a look
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Hi Graham, I suspected something like that from the other stuff on their web page which I forgot to put a link to.
But it still should be worth a good look anyway. Might bump into you there.
Cheers
Dom
http://www.zot.com.au
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!