New Luthier Tips du Jour video - Neck Carving

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

New Luthier Tips du Jour video - Neck Carving

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:25 am

The newest Luthier Tips du Jour instructional video is on Youtube. The topic is Neck Carving. I have added a new feature, subtitles. I have done them in both English and Portuguese and you can translate them into any other language by using the CC option on Youtube.
As always, comments and discussion are welcome.
Enjoy!

youtu.be/
www.obrienguitars.com

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:22 am

Many of you have expressed your gratitude for these Luthier Tips du Jour videos that I have been doing for the past few months. I am glad that they are of benefit and that the lutherie community in general is enjoying and benefitting from them. These videos take an incredible amount of time and energy to produce and I have almost thrown in the towel on several occasions. I recently added a paypal donation button to my website. If you are enjoying these videos please wander on over to my website and make a donation so that I can keep these things coming.

http://www.obrienguitars.com
www.obrienguitars.com

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:28 am

Robbie...what about the Australian subtitles???

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:08 pm

Haha!! Good one! :D
www.obrienguitars.com

PHANTOM
Blackwood

Post by PHANTOM » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:48 pm

Thanks for that mate I have found the neck to be the hardest part of my first guitar. The video would have been great about two weeks ago, oh well number two will be better I hope.
Carpe Diem

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:03 am

Sorry I couldn't have this out at the time you needed it. Perhaps it will help on the next one.
www.obrienguitars.com

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:27 am

I have veiwed all your vids since I found the ANZLF Robbie and was happy to donate for you great contributions.

I would like to add my take on neck carving as I use a skew chisel to carve the transitions from heel to neck and from headstock to neck not because it is any better than a rasp but just because I love the feel of using a skew chisel, also they are simple to make.

Just cut the end off a 25mm chisel with one of those thin kerf metal discs on a 100mm grinder then hollow grind on a bench grinder continuing to cool the blade in water as you go, then polish, hone and carve away. Keeping it short gives better control.

Jim

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:04 pm

Robbie, thank you so much for taking the time to do these. I know how much of a hassle they can be from conception to finish.

Jim, does it matter which way the blade is skewed? Or do you have a left and a right? How long is the handle? This sort of reminds me of the knives I've seen used in shops in Mexico.

Robbie O'Brien
ANZLF Approved Supplier

Post by Robbie O'Brien » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:05 am

Toejam wrote:I have veiwed all your vids since I found the ANZLF Robbie and was happy to donate for you great contributions.

Jim
Thank you Jim.
www.obrienguitars.com

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:49 am

You can cut them either way Lillian, mine is right, you could have two but i find i only need one. The handle is a standard carpenters handle of about 5 inches. You can buy them made like this but they tend to be pricey.

Jim

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:59 pm

Never having worked with a skew chisel, I didn't know if you needed and left and a right to make your life easier. Thanks for the info Jim. I'm off to see what I have squirreled away that might work.