Playmakers

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Playmakers

Post by Bob Connor » Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:25 pm

I got back from the Playmakers weekend in Western Australia yesterday so I thought I'd give you a match report and a few pics to show what went on.

Playmakers is part of the Perth Arts Festival and is held at the Eclipse Building at the Albany museum each year.

On the way through to Albany I got to visit the mother lode of Australian tonewood at Tim Spittle's place. I didn't get any photos there but I can assure that the place is full of outstanding timbers. Tim will also have a new website up before too long.

The theme of Playmakers this year was the ukelele and we were treated to some great discussions and playing from David Hurd, the author of left Brained Luthierie and Doug Tolentino, a ukelele player who sings in the traditional Hawaiian style.

I took some video and put it up on You Tube.

youtu.be/

Arguably Australia's finest Harp player, Jim Conway was there. Who remembers the Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band.

The highlight of the weekend for me at least was the presentation by Greg Smallman and particularly getting to have a chat with him.
Craig Ogden was there to play a couple of Gregs guitars and it was interesting to hear the difference in the instruments that were built five years apart. For those of you who are nervous taking soundboards too thin, Greg's sit at about 1mm.

Harry Fleishman is a very funny guy who makes some very nice but unorthodox asymmetrical guitars. He also invented "that" binding jig.

David Worthy has been building some unusual instruments for Andrew Winton. This is a Wiessenborn inspired soild neck intsrument with seven strings. The seventh string is about six inches longer in scale that the rest so it offers some unique bottom end sounds depending how it is tuned.

A heap of us stayed with John Maddison and there was a session at his place on the first night.

First of all here's

Tiny Tim(Spittle)

Allen MacFarlen and Kim Hickey having a giggle at Tiny Tim

Kim Hickey belts one out on his SJ as Michael Connor looks on.

Tim Spittle playing one of my guitars.

Michael and Allen having a cackle.

Me playing.

It was a great weekend and the highlight really was catching up with some of the people on the forum who had previously been names on an internet page.

John Maddison was one of the organisers of the event and I must thank him for putting up with a bunch of rogues like us in his house for the weeekend.

If anyone else can make it for Playmakers next year I can heartily recommend it.
Last edited by Bob Connor on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:22 am

Looks like a great time was had by all. I would have loved to make it, now I can just regret it...

Who could forget Captain Matchbox Whoopee Band (My canary has circles under his eyes...). I got to see Jim at the BM Folk Festival a couple of years ago. The spark is still there!
make mine fifths........

jackspira
Kauri

Post by jackspira » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:33 am

Wow! What a show! Thanks for putting up the pictures Bob!!
I might start saving now to try and get to the next one
JAck

John Maddison
Blackwood

Post by John Maddison » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:02 am

Great pix, Bob ... here's another one for the Rogues Gallery!

Bookings for mattresses on floor (luxury!) in 2010 are now open.

Cheers :wink:
Last edited by John Maddison on Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
John M

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:43 am

Luxury indeed. You'll just have to book a spot at John's to fully appreciate this.

It's been an total blast to be staying at John's and hanging out with such a great bunch of very talented and generous people.

The session with David Hurd at TAFE yesterday was like taking a master class, and something that I will be forether thankfull that I got the opportunity to attend. In fact reflecting on all the information that was so freely offered, and the informal conversations between participants is something that you'd possibly spend a lifetime trying to figure out in isolation.

Thanks to all who participated and helped to make this a most enjoyable and memorable event.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:02 pm

John FM wrote:Great pix, Bob ... but I think this one for the Rogues Gallery captures the real essence of what I truly believe Playmakers is all about!

Bookings for mattresses on floor (luxury!) in 2010 are now open.

Cheers :wink:
Hey John, how come your only showing Bob marine grave yard??

Pencil me in for next year mate, I had a great time 8)

Cheers

Kim
Last edited by Kim on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:47 am

Now finding time to post in more detail, I think Jack has summed it up pretty well, WOW!

I too got to have a chat with Greg Smallman and David Hurd both of whom I found to be very gracious, approachable and generous with their incredible knowledge. We listened on as world renowned artist and luthiers openly shared their thoughts and expertise on a variety of interesting topics and were thoroughly entertained by some very humorous presentations and outstanding musical performances.

As Bob mentioned, it really was great fun to catch up with members of the ANZLF in person putting faces to the names. Bob, Allen and Tim where all great company and Michael Connor (Localele) is one of the funniest people I have ever had the pleasure to share a beer with, his lightning wit keeping us all in stitches over the weekend.

Fantastic event, fantastic group of people and John Madison is an amazing host. The lads of the ANZLF did our level best to wear him down and corrupt him over the weekend with drink, song, late nights and laughter, but he just kept marching on and on like a Trojan. Asides from the odd few minutes of REM stolen whilst on the floor of the Eclipse Building between one or two of the presentations (......loogshreey), John managed to function very well on little sleep. He made those of us staying at his home feel most welcome providing comfortable beds, cooked brekkies, and fresh coffee, all of which could be found at various times each morning. The warmth in his welcome and charm did not alter for the many people attend the PlayMakers event where John managed to pull off a very polished performance as MC.

All in all this was a superb weekend and I would not have missed it for the world. Thank you John, because of your open hearted kindness we all had a great time at PlayMakers 2009.

Cheers

Kim

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:35 am

I'm jealous and I'm saving.

Jim

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:25 am

Oh shite! I missed it!

Sounds like you had a great time, and walked away with your brains hurting, and not just from beer consumption.

Where are the sound clips and the video clips!!!???

Is the only way to see a Kim Hickey guitar to fly to Perth?

I'm going to save my pennies, to try to get to the next Playmakers. In the meantime, I've got the dictionary of Aussie slang, as well as a copy of the Rosetta Stone language learning software, Oz edition. I want to make sure that as fast as Michael Connor and Kim can fire off quips, my brain will understand both the words and the cultural references.

Seriously guys, (hey, where are the females?), it sounds like you had a blast, and these get-togethers are incredible to solidify friendships formed in the ether of cyberspace. Lucky bastards!

Dennis
Another damn Yank!