Hello to all

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

JayC
Gidgee

Hello to all

Post by JayC » Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi my names Jay. I've been lurking around this excellent forum for a while and thought I should introduce myself. I've been building for a few years now in between a busy family life, work and fixing as many guitars to gain experience as I can. I've managed to build 3 guitars so far, number #1 a rosewood dreadnought, #2 a Queensland Maple small body cutaway, #3 was a Queensland Maple acoustic bass. I've always had a passion for playing and guitars in general and I owe my startup in lutherie to a mentor who has a lot of experience and I owe him a great deal for his patience and willingness to share his knowledge.

I hope I can add my own "two cents worth" along the way and be an active part of your community.

I've Uploaded a couple of pictures of the dreadie and small body I will get a picture of the bass if your interested. I don't have one on the hard drive because I just had to give it to a friend who is a pro bass player loved it so much and played it so beautifully.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:31 am

Hi Jay,

Welcome to the ANZLF 8)

Nice looking work and yes we are very interested in seeing images of your acoustic bass. Also looking forward to your 2c worth in the future.

Cheers

Kim

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:58 am

Hi Jay, and welcome to ANZLF. That is very nice work for your first two builds. They are traditional but with nice individual touches, like the bridge shape and the rosettes. The cutaway worked out well. What did you use to finish them? It achieved a good-looking gloss.
cheers
Mark

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:41 am

Welcome to the forum Jay. We'd like to hear your 2 cents any time you want to chime in. And whenever you can please post some pictures of the acoustic bass. I know of a couple of people that are interested in building one, and inspiration and experience are always welcome.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:20 am

Welcome to the forum Jay.

I too would like to see the acoustic bass as I have plans to build one in the future! You guitars look great displaying fine workmanship.

Thanks for sharing

Cheers

Alan

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:35 am

Hey Jay. Put me on that list of wanting to see the bass too please. Love the cutaway on the small body. Oh and you will need to round that two cents up to 5 as well.

Jim

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:18 pm

Welcome aboard Jay!

I've got to build an acoustic bass for my nephew, so any info you can provide about yours would be most welcome.

Your first two look great by the way.

Cheers,

Paul

JayC
Gidgee

Post by JayC » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:33 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words and warm welcome. I will post a few pictures of the Bass ASAP along with some details. Being a "newb" I will assume I should do it in a new post.

Mark, the Dreadie was finished in a more tradition Mirotone Nitro and after rubbing back after every 3 or 4 coats (probably 4 or 5 times) I finally leveled it . I left it for a month or so than melted in a couple of finish coates then polished out after another month.

I'm actually planning on sending it back to the workshop. I'm sure many of you noticed but were too polite to mention the large scratch on the soundboard caused by one of the offspring accidentally dropping a new macbook computer on it. Not to worry no one hurt and it gives me another chance to thin down the neck (not exactly my response at the time of the accident) . I know I should just leave it but it's the only guitar I have kept . I don't know about the rest of you, but there are only so many guitars I can keep so the last two have found good homes. There are too many that I desperately want to have a go at making to be too sentimental.

The cutaway and the more recent acoustic bass were finished in Hichem 2 pack over west system epoxy. The whole 2 pack process is a little too immediate and toxic for my liking so I intend to try pre-cat for the next one. I used the UV stabilized hardener in the West system epoxy because I feel its honey tone adds to the depth of the grain.

Thanks again to everyone for the kind word.

Regards
Jay

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:53 pm

Hi Jay and welcome to the ANZLF! You have created some very cool guitars there - nice work!

Welcome aboard!