Pretty pictures for after reading Dr Wrights thesis

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Pretty pictures for after reading Dr Wrights thesis

Post by DarwinStrings » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:23 pm

I thought this might go ok after reading through the thesis you posted Dave.

I've had this almost finished for a while but finally put the neck on and strung it up today.

PNG rosewood body with tung oil, rock maple neck with polyurethane, cocobolo as well as green abalone inlay, Lace hot tele pickups and aluminium pickguard.

The sadles sit directly on the pickguard so i had to inlay a piece of 1mm stainless flush into the 2mm aluminium or the adjusters would have just gouged it out.
I'm not sure if it will be everyones cup of tea but I love aluminim next to wood and also the way you can work aluminium with a router as you
do with wood.
I am happy with the polyurethane on the neck, it was a bit of a experiment though and doubt I'll use it again.
Notice the Stewy Mac output jack plate, it goes well with the pickguard. I don't like the look of the string Ts but I like the function. The neck inlay marks the trad frets as well as being a bit of bling.

Jim

Pete Brown
Blackwood

Post by Pete Brown » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:12 pm

There are many unique design elements you can be proud of Jim. Beautiful work!

I love the "jigsaw" headstock.

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:39 pm

Very sassy Jim, you got a great eye for style. I just love the inlay and headstock combo very classy indeed and the ali pickguard adds an industrial flavour keeping the whole design unique.

Jim's Tin Teli 8)

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:49 pm

I can't decide if it's got an old time look to it, or if it's cutting edge. The body and alloy pick guard has a vintage feel to them for me, but that head stock and the inlay, really are a nice modern touch.

Thanks for posting this Jim.

How do you like the Tung Oil as a finish for the body?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:29 pm

Nice feel to that one Jim. I like the headstock too and the fingerboard inlay is "trés elegant".

What's the nut material?
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:10 am

Thanks all.

"Graph Tech", Bob. Some sort of extra slippery graphite with "microscopic lubricants" :shock: I can't see it though.

I'm happy with the tung oil Allen. I have used it on coffee tables for years but it's only good if you want that old wood patina look rather than a glossy look.

Chuckle :D "Tin Tele"

"jigsaw" I hadn't thought of that but now you've got me thinking about my next electric Pete.

Jim

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Fri Feb 06, 2009 5:34 am

Jim
That is really beautiful work and unique, tasteful styling. You have got me thinking about making an electric, which is something I haven't been interested in before. How do you work with the sheet aluminium - what sort of cutting tools are best, and how do you finish it?
Mark

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:05 am

Hey Jim that guitar looks great! You have a flair for design and the guitar displays your own retro look. Fine work there also mate! Congratulations and thanks for sharing the pics.

Cheers

Alan

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:02 am

Reminds me of an original squier bullet (1981) with some of the styling details such as minimal bridge built into metal pickguard.
Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Jeff

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:11 pm

Well done Jeff. I have a 1980 USA Bullet, not the squire but the original and it certainly had a influence but the main influence was the telecaster. If you look at the body you will see it is the same as a tele with the lower horn reduced.

Thanks Allen "retro" is spot on. I love to "fall off the tree" but not roll to far from it.

Glad to have given you a bit of a push Mark. I just use a router, carbide tiped router bits and templates to cut the aluminium then fine wet and dry and a buffing wheel to polish.

My net is down at the moment and may not be back for a while as I'm waiting on Telstra, so I maybe be slow to answer any questions.

Jim

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:06 pm

Oh I really dig the headstock too

Connor_the_builder
Beefwood

Post by Connor_the_builder » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:13 pm

Correct :D
Connor Cook
N.S.W

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:06 am

Very cool guitar Jim! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Nice one Jim, it has a nice vibe and very original looking, love the peg head. You'll have to keep metal polish in the case now.
Taff

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:18 pm

My ISP has been kind enough to give me a temporary dial up connection while they fix the other troubles.

Cheers all again, especially about the headstock, I find designing headstocks a huge challenge. The next one is a bit straight but I have something a little different for the one after that.

Jim