Swamp Ash

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Connor_the_builder
Beefwood

Swamp Ash

Post by Connor_the_builder » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:35 pm

Hey there. Soon this year, I plan to make a couple of basses, one will hopefully look like this:

Where Can I get swamp Ash in Aus. I've searched quite a bit, but haven't contacted any wood sellers yet.

Connor.
Connor Cook
N.S.W

SteveF
Myrtle

Post by SteveF » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi Connor, Gilets in Sydney have Swamp Ash,Alder and Mahogany prices range from $104 to $249.http://tiny.cc/Gilets.......Hope this helps........Steve

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:18 pm

Welcome Connor

I have only even seen the northern or baseball bat ash listed with some of the importers of world woods in Australia but it would be a good idea if you try them all first. In the end though you may just have to buy a piece in from the USA. This forum lists some guitar wood suppliers in the states that may be able to help you.

Jim

Connor_the_builder
Beefwood

Post by Connor_the_builder » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:49 pm

Thanks. If All else fails, I know a place to get some Swamp Ash in the states, but I wanted to try close to home.
Connor Cook
N.S.W

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:42 am

Welcome to the forum Connor.

Is there a particular reason for using Swamp Ash? I've never used it, so don't know what it's properties are.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Connor_the_builder
Beefwood

Post by Connor_the_builder » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:30 am

The reason I'm using swamp Ash is because of it's grain. in the pictures above, the guy who owns the bass has used a steel brush to take away the softer wood in the grain there, like on some Warwick basses.
Connor Cook
N.S.W

SteveF
Myrtle

Post by SteveF » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:27 am

Hi Connor, Tassie Oak has a grain pattern similar to the above don't know if a wire brush would scrub the surface like that though but try hardware stores for a small piece............Steve

Connor_the_builder
Beefwood

Post by Connor_the_builder » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:49 am

Thanks Steve, i'll have a look at it.
Connor Cook
N.S.W

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:27 pm

If that's the only reason, there are heaps of woods that you can get that effect on. Just get the wire brush out, and give a few different types a go.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Connor_the_builder
Beefwood

Post by Connor_the_builder » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:45 pm

That Is A bit hard, i'm not an experienced luthier, I'm 14 and would like to try and get into luthiery (before now I've only put together one custom kit) but I don't have a large selection of luthiery woods.

In my dads shed, he has Aussie mountain ash but it's not thick enough for a whole body.
Connor Cook
N.S.W

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:53 pm

If you're Dad will let you try scrubbing it a bit with the wire brush to see how it works. If it does, then finding some suitable sized pieces locally will be a lot easier and less costly than sourcing from overseas. You'll find that shipping can and does cost every bit as much as the some of the wood that we use.

You might also try Tim at Australian Tonewoods. He may have some suggestions of suitable local woods. You can find a link to him in our Approved Vendors section on the first page of the forum, or from many of his posts.

Keep us up to date on what you find out and your progress.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Connor_the_builder
Beefwood

Post by Connor_the_builder » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:13 pm

Thank you. I'm sure my dad would let me test out the mountain ash, If worst comes to worst, i'll glue two pieces together, or in a completely different outcome an idea struck me, maybe laminate something in-between. :D

But there's always the possibility that it isn't dried properly :?

I'll have a yarn to Tim when Some money comes my way! As they say, the money does the talking.
Connor Cook
N.S.W