Shipping to USA ?

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

ap404
Myrtle

Shipping to USA ?

Post by ap404 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:24 pm

Hey folks ...

Anyone sent a guitar to the US lately ?
I've got to get some quotes, but thought there'd be some collective experience 'round here.

I'm talking electric solid bodies in SKB style rectangular cases: Bris to New York, but any anecdotes gratefuly taken on board.

I'm guessing that they'll be oversize for Australia Post and have been told to allow for $200 Aus or more to east coast states.

Cheers in advance, AP
i got a hot rod ford and a two dollar bill, and i know a place right over the hill ...

www.flickr.com/photos/harvesterworks

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:03 am

I tried to figure this out as well, but I came up against a brick wall unless I was willing to fork out $600 - $800 for shipping via the major players. Ie. Fedex, DHL, Quick Ship, etc.

I tried asking the Australian Post people, but they're all very evasive about whether they'll take a guitar sized parcel. They'll deliver a case from the US to me, but going the other way seems to be too difficult. If you do find a way that doesn't break the bank, I'm keen to find out.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:38 am

Don't know about Internationally but I have sent quite a few solid bodies in cases nationally via Aust post and they we're just inside the dimensions allowed.?
Another trick I used to do was ship bolt-on neck electrics from Japan by un-bolting the necks and shipping as "guitar parts" as such ..2 packages.
avoided customs charges as they we're none the wiser.

cheers grant

ap404
Myrtle

Post by ap404 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:04 am

Thanks Fellers,

In this case I'm quoting for set neck instruments, otherwise I would unscrew and pack, I guess Leo was on to something there after all ... :)

Looks like most electric cases exceed the AP limits by just 10 mm or so. I know that it all depends on how friendly/ busy your particular AP staff are on the day as to wether they'll let it pass ...

And yep Grant, I've had guitars delivered to me from the US ( is that the doorbell now ? ) but never wanted to send one t'other way until now ... It seems to be a bit of a lottery as to wether they'll look too closely at the ol' sewing tape measure.

If it did fit, AP would charge about A$150.

DHL calculator told me A$350

I know it can be done for $200 or so with tracking, and since the customer is paying, why not get some tracking and door to door delivery in the deal?

I'll keep trying online calcs.

Cheers, AP
i got a hot rod ford and a two dollar bill, and i know a place right over the hill ...

www.flickr.com/photos/harvesterworks

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:45 pm

I went in to DHL directly and they said don't even think about using their calculator, since I had and it didn't seem too bad. They cube the box, and told me $650 AU.

I hadn't considered unbolting the neck, but that sort of leaves the set up to someone else, but not a deal breaker if push comes to shove. Good idea.

Still keen on finding the $200 option.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:54 am

Here's an update on shipping to the USA. I just shipped two 000 sized guitars in cases to Ohio. Cost of postage and insurance through Australian Post per instrument was $180 each. The size of the box was just shy of what the post office would accept for overseas. We got the impression that it would be too big for domestic shipping.

They arrived safe and sound 10 days later. No extra fees on the receivers end. Good news as far as I'm concerned.
Allen R. McFarlen
Facebook
Cairns, Australia