Young/New Builders

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Young/New Builders

Post by Taffy Evans » Tue Jan 06, 2009 1:17 pm

Some months ago some of you may remember that I posted info about my young grandson Jake who had, some years ago completed his first guitar, a solid body. And as I see more young builders joining our ranks I thought I would share some insight into what can be achieved with some help and guidance.

If I have neglected to welcome any new young members, or even older folks testing their skills in Lutherie for the first time, I do so now …Welcome.

Well I thought I would post these two photos of Jakes two sisters who had also had a crack at instrument building, again some 5 years ago. Courtney with the Dulcimer was about 9 years old and Ashleigh was about 7. Both had done other types of woodwork projects in my workshop over the years, so were no strangers to the tools and machines they had to use.

I regret not having been able to make more time available to encourage them to continue building their skills in this area, as all the kids took to it like ducks to water. However I took into account that kids have to first experience and indulge in what kids do whilst growing up, toys, schooling, sport, music and their own family, so I let their interest in building take a natural course, they could ask at any time and I would fit them in. This has worked well over the years.

Ash’s afternoon project was as you can see a Biscuit Tin Banjo, it works fine and she did all the work herself with me of course hovering very close. One thing my students experience is the “dignity of riskâ€
Taff

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:34 pm

There is a lot of love and wisdom in that post, Taffy. Thanks for sharing the stories and the pictures. I will happily "waste" some more of my time looking at the video if you are able to post it (maybe on You-tube).
Mark

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:12 pm

I'll read each and every word as well Taffy. And thanks for starting this post. It was a great way to wind down after work to read that inspirational post.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:45 pm

No time wasted at all Taffy.....your posts always worth a read.

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:05 pm

Thanks for your encouraging remarks guy's.

Did I tell you the story of the shaped guitar case I made back in '64, or the .....................

Heres a photo of another promising student...........

My daughter Kealie, the mother of the two girls mentioned above
Taff

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:10 pm

Those kids didn't have a bloody hope. :lol:
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:22 pm

Great post Taffy, no time wasted mate, to me this kind of stuff is the very essence of a good forum. Inspirational and encouraging stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to share.

Cheers

Kim

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:51 am

That is so cool Taffy, real education!
make mine fifths........