Forum Error Messages

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Bob Connor
Admin

Forum Error Messages

Post by Bob Connor » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:39 am

I've had a few PM's about error messages when sending PM's and you may have noticed some double posts (which I've been trying to tidy up as they occur)

They seem to stem from my mail server which is on the same box as the forum (which lives under my desk)

I think I've fixed it but I'm monitoring it closely.

I'm thinking that early in the new year might be a good time to migrate the whole lot on to a new server with a different Linux distro (currently it's on Debian but I'd like to move to Ubuntu) and update the forum software from version 2 to version 3.

The old server is a PII 350MHz beast which is getting a bit long in the tooth
but has done the job admirably for the last few years but it still has SCSI drives running Raid 1 so there is some redundancy in case of disk failure.

The changeover to the new software shouldn't take that long but I'll probably need to take the forum down for a day sometime in January to do it.

Bob
Last edited by Bob Connor on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:37 am

You need any bits a pieces? I've got a drawer full of old computer bits and pieces. Got a Asus motherboard floating around somewhere with (I think) a P4 processor. Yours if you want it. Not the most up to date gear, but gotta be better than a PII.

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:06 am

I've got an Albatron mobo with an AMD 2000+ and a 5600XT graphics card in a case with a 500W power supply sitting here doing nothing. They're yours (or any of the bits) if you want them Bob. Just add DDR2 RAM and a harddrive and it's up and going.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:39 am

Jeeze Bob my friend what have you been eating lately?

That poor server located under your desk might just need the addition of a respirator....... :D