Sting on a Lute

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

kiwigeo
Admin

Sting on a Lute

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:09 pm

Scan of a pic from a review of recent concert at Sydney Opera House by Sting and Edin Karamazov. I think theyre 13 course lutes...dont know who theyre made by. Colin.....if youve got your ears on would you like to help us out on this one.

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:23 pm

Ive got that album and frankly he mangles Dowland severely. To imagine the over dramatisation as period is a bit of a lark as far as I can tell. But then he blew his voice touring with Police so he has to resort to something i suppose....

Nice lutes, here is the Sydney papers article FWIW http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/s ... 02,00.html
make mine fifths........

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:03 pm

I havent heard the album..I'd better check it out.

Interesting comment about Stings beard...I think it makes him look like a wino....

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:42 pm

it's a shocking look. definitely wino. the man has no shame.

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:09 am

sebastiaan56 wrote:Ive got that album and frankly he mangles Dowland severely.
Agreed.

I think Sting's playing stinks, to be honest. :wink: The lute takes a very long time to master; it's not one of those instruments to have just on a sideline as an interesting diversion from the guitar..... It is very demanding of practice time, as how much practice you have really shows with the lute.

Here's a BBC interview with Sting about his passion for the lute. Hope you lot are able to watch the video. He's quite beardless in this interview!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7714354.stm

Colin S
Myrtle

Post by Colin S » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:02 am

Not sure who makes Sting's lute, looks like it could be a Wadsworth, not one of mine though.

I'm ambivalent about Sting, on the one hand he absolutely murders both the lute and Dowland, bit like asking Liberace to play Chopin, his playing lacks any subtlty and his voice is totally inappropriate for the genre. But, on the other hand he has made the lute and Dowland more popular which makes an opening for more accomplished players and singers to fill the public demand.

Shortly before my accident I finished recording more than a hundred pieces of Dowland for the RCM archives, mainly his solo lute pieces, but also some of the songs (not me singing). Allen has got a CD of my playing, which he may comment on, They will probably be commercially available in the near future. Here's one piece on my own 10-course Venere.

My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe

Colin
"In 1969, I gave up alcohol and women, worst 20 minutes of my life." George Best.

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:18 am

Colin S wrote: Here's one piece on my own 10-course Venere.

My Lady Hunsdon's Puffe

Colin
THAT's more like it. Cascading, fluid clear notes. STUNNING!!!!

Mark McLean
Blackwood

Post by Mark McLean » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:35 am

Colin
I have been sitting here listening to that one piece over and over for half an hour and I am now in an unaccountably good mood. Absolutely beautiful. Please let us know when the CD is available.
thanks
Mark

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:47 am

I totally agree with you Colin. For Sting to just take a lute on stage, he's increased it's visibility, and awareness to an immeasurably larger audience than most virtuosos on the instrument would ever hope for.

And lets face it. The crowd that has gone to see him probably has only ever heard a lute as a bit of background music on a movie score a few times before. They've got no idea if he's doing the instrument any justice.

And every time I listen to your CD, I'm amazed that it's just one instrument. The sounds are so complex, crisp, and rich. A marvelous bit of playing.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:55 am

Yes indeed Colin, your Lady Hunsdon's Puffe would be a handful. Beautiful performance, thanks for posting.

Cheers

Kim

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:27 am

Colin Ill take a dozen of those CD's!

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:16 am

I have had that piece by Colin on my IPod for a while now and love it!!! :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl :cl

That is a good point that even though Sting's playing sucks he does give the Lute some high-profile exposure. Much like when George Harrison hooked-up with Ravi Cankersore and exposed the west to the sitar.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:19 am

By the way do you know who Ravi's daughter, at least one of them....., is?

Nora Jones! Says a lot for talent being genetic. She sure is better looking than her old man though...... :D

JJ
Wandoo

Post by JJ » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:00 am

Great piece, Colin! Please be sure to publicize the CD's release!