Need some timber bookmatched

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Deano
Kauri

Need some timber bookmatched

Post by Deano » Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:32 pm

Hey guys,

I have some long lengths of figured Blackwood, flamed Myrtle and other goodies that I would like bookmatched into 5-18 mm drop tops. Whilst I own a 20' thicknesser and have access to a band saw I could do it myself, but there's just to much wastage (loosing around 7mm per bookmatched set).

As there's not much room for play in some of these pieces I'm trying to source someone with the right equipment.

I live in Melbourne, so if anyone has contacts of people or companies who do this type of work it would be greatly appreciated..

I've already tried Mathews timber and AFT and they both weren't really helpful, despite being a common customer.

Cheers,
Deano :?:

josh_cain
Sassafras

Post by josh_cain » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:16 pm

i've found AFT to be pretty unhelpful with my queries and what not over the last 6 months..... and that was dealing with them thru my school who spends thousands of dollars each term there
Josh.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:02 am

Barry Kerr, at Woodtone Guitars does rewawing for luthiers. I buy a lot of wood from him, and I know others here deal with him as well. You can contact him at

woodtoneguitars at bigpond dot com
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:09 am

I've got a Jet 18" resaw set up with Woodmaster CT down here at Geelong if you want bring your wood down here Deano.

Cost ya a few stubbies. :lol:
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Tigermyrtle

Re: Need some timber bookmatched

Post by Tigermyrtle » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:53 am

Hi Deano, Give me a call and I can put you in touch with a friend in melbourne that will resaw for you, Cheers Bob.
Deano wrote:Hey guys,

I have some long lengths of figured Blackwood, flamed Myrtle and other goodies that I would like bookmatched into 5-18 mm drop tops. Whilst I own a 20' thicknesser and have access to a band saw I could do it myself, but there's just to much wastage (loosing around 7mm per bookmatched set).

As there's not much room for play in some of these pieces I'm trying to source someone with the right equipment.

I live in Melbourne, so if anyone has contacts of people or companies who do this type of work it would be greatly appreciated..

I've already tried Mathews timber and AFT and they both weren't really helpful, despite being a common customer.

Cheers,
Deano :?:

Deano
Kauri

Post by Deano » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:15 am

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I have plenty of time on my hands now as schools finished, so I'm looking at doing this in the next month.

Bob, thanks for the offer mate. I will contact you in the next few weeks if needed.

Cheers,
Deano

Tigermyrtle

Post by Tigermyrtle » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:28 am

Hi Deano, I missed the other Bobs message when I posted my message.
That sounds a good deal visit him in Geelong and take a few Stubbies from what I hear he is a great guy and you will learn some thing he makes beautiful guitars, Cheers Bob,
Deano wrote:Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. I have plenty of time on my hands now as schools finished, so I'm looking at doing this in the next month.

Bob, thanks for the offer mate. I will contact you in the next few weeks if needed.

Cheers,
Deano

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:35 pm

A very cunning plan by Deano to find out what's worth stealing from your sheds !!!

He's been using my 17" bandsaw at my place but I haven't geared
it for re-sawing tops .........yet.:oops:
This could be the kick in the pants I need to finally get her tweaked to perfection !!
Any good books or tutorials for doing this ? .

(oh yeah......a big congratulations to Deano for completing his final VCE exam yesterday :wink: )

cheers, Stu

Tigermyrtle

Post by Tigermyrtle » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi Stu,
there is alot of good info about resawing google search, plus the guys here will help cheers Bob.
oz tradie wrote:A very cunning plan by Deano to find out what's worth stealing from your sheds !!!

He's been using my 17" bandsaw at my place but I haven't geared
it for re-sawing tops .........yet.:oops:
This could be the kick in the pants I need to finally get her tweaked to perfection !!
Any good books or tutorials for doing this ? .

(oh yeah......a big congratulations to Deano for completing his final VCE exam yesterday :wink: )

cheers, Stu

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:42 pm

Guys and girls p;ease don't forget to check our own tutorial section here at the ANZLF, this is a great resource and should be a first port of call should you need advice on a particular topic. Right now not everything is covered however it is growing all the time so check back regularly.

If anyone has a good tip or method you could share with us, please feel free to add to the knowledge base and post a tute because what you share in that section adds real value to our forum.

Here is a resaw tute that was put together by Grant Goltz, I linked to it with his permission because, like most things Grant does, it is a very clever approach which gives great results.

viewtopic.php?t=552

Cheers

Kim

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:10 pm

I must admit I watched that when it was posted but totally forgot about that one being in the tute section.

Shoulda had a man's look eh . :oops:
Thanks Kim, always there to set things back on course.

Hey TigerMyrtle, any chance of seeing pics of your re-saw set-up down at the mill ? Aww.............pretty please, Bob :lol:

cheers, Stu.

Tigermyrtle

Post by Tigermyrtle » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:36 pm

Hi Stu, I am flat out at the moment working on 2 large overseas orders but I promise I will send you photos of resaw as soon as possible.
Cheers Bob,
oz tradie wrote:I must admit I watched that when it was posted but totally forgot about that one being in the tute section.

Shoulda had a man's look eh . :oops:
Thanks Kim, always there to set things back on course.

Hey TigerMyrtle, any chance of seeing pics of your re-saw set-up down at the mill ? Aww.............pretty please, Bob :lol:

cheers, Stu.