Cleaning out the woodshed - Part I

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

hilo_kawika
Blackwood

Cleaning out the woodshed - Part I

Post by hilo_kawika » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:00 am

I'm a packrat - there it is. I can't bear to throw nice looking, figured koa wood away even when I can't use it. So when I've re-sawed pieces there's always singles left over that can't be stuck to another piece for a top or back.

But now SWMBO says it's time to let go.

If anyone wants this stuff for the price of postage, it's yours. The general dimensions of the pieces are 5"x13"x 1/16-1/8". They should be great for headstocks, soundhole inlay Xmas tree ornaments and whatever your mind can come together with. A fixed rate International Priority Mail box with inner dimensions of 11 7/8" x 3 3/8" x13 5/8" costs ~$40 US to ship to Oz. I've already sent a couple of care packages of wood to Oz and customs wasn't a problem.

There are also thicker pieces of smaller dimensions if you want to re-saw your own stuff.

Please PM me if you're interested and we can work out details.
How to become a millionaire? Start with $2 million and become a luthier...

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:58 am

It'd be nice if some of the young blokes who are still in school could get their hands on that stuff. Just a thought.

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:48 am

Paul B wrote:It'd be nice if some of the young blokes who are still in school could get their hands on that stuff. Just a thought.
Fantastic idea Paul ! . As much as I'd like them myself ,I think it should be reserved for them .

C'mon Jake and Josh ,, Here's an opportunity !
Craig Lawrence

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:42 pm

I'd like them myself.

Man, I GOTTA learn to be more selfish, damn it. Nobody else had posted on the subject, I mighta had dibs!

Way I see it, is the rest of us have incomes and the young guys don't, but they've got plenty of talent and plenty of enthusiasm, bugger all cash though.

Anyway, had to say something, I could see this stuff ending up in Martins warehouse...

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:55 pm

Actually Im a bit worried about Martin, he wasnt first on Tim's Bocote offer.....

or is there something i should know :?
make mine fifths........

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:08 pm

Yes ,it's a bit of sad news for Martin . Unfortunatley the aircraft hanger he uses to store his stash has simply run out of room . Apparently There's not even enough room for a single fingerboard to be squeezed in there . He tried a bridge blank by shoving it through the door and quickly slamming it , but to no avail. The bloody door would not shut.

Apparently he's looking at mining underneath the hanger as a next step to gain some more space . A costly exersize to be sure , and is the reason I've started a bit of a donation campaign to help cover his costs , the poor bugger .

Anyone interested in forwarding a donation ,kindly send it to me personally . Cash would be good !! No receipts will be issued . C'mon guys , give till it hurts !!
Craig Lawrence

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:38 pm

Craig,

Do you mean those stories of Martin's new floorboards made from old growth BRW are not true?

Actually the grapevine has it that the Spittles' are going to be moving into a caravan on the outskirts of Kalgoorie since Martin stopped buying timber....
Uncle Bob has started cashing in his 401, and the President of Brazil put in a call to Kevin Rudd.
make mine fifths........

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:46 pm

This forum is so full of geniuses I am just blown out and I think we will no less than stun the nation this time. You guys provided the ingredients, all I did was stir.

Check it out.

Martin needs a, well frankly, f%&#*ing huge store under his already massive hanger to store his wood that, generous as we are, may well be beyond our considerable means to fund. At current growth rates we are talking some serious infrastructure including internal transport networks and cutting edge inventory monitoring. But this should not really be news to any of us right?

But. And here is the genius of the ANZLF. As we speak Kevin Rudd is putting together a list of large infrastructure projects to spend a few billion on for some good old fashion economic pump priming.

You see what you guys have created here? Imagine how many jobs such an ambitious project would create? The day the ANZLF saved the Australian economy! And help out poor old Martin so he could get back in the WA (wood acquisition) saddle again. Got to be worth a public holiday named in our honour, at least.

I'll whip up a letter to the PM.

Dear Kevin, have we got an idea for you. You sitting down for this Kev? We know this guys in SA with a sh%t load of nice wood who......
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:14 am

Very funny guys. The truth is the workshop _is_ full to the brim and Ive barely got room to move around same.

The mining and oil/gas industries are also moving into one of their regular downturns so as usual I go into survival draft which means less money spent on the luxuries in life. On the plus side, less work means more time for building.

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:32 am

Luxuries?

Hilo, how about you send us your beercan chicken recipe? That IS what's in your avatar isn't it??

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:40 am

kiwigeo wrote:The mining and oil/gas industries are also moving into one of their regular downturns so as usual I go into survival draft which means less money spent on the luxuries in life. On the plus side, less work means more time for building.
Already!?! I thought there would be a few years left in the boom.
make mine fifths........

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:48 am

Martin , old and treasured buddy ,, I really do hope you take our posts in jest as that is their intention . Just a bit of fun mate .

Matthew , Daves site has a whole section on this as well as fishing !

Gotta be one of the most comprehensive sites on the planet :D
Craig Lawrence

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:56 am

Mining companies dont have any foresight. At the slightest hint of troubles they stop hiring and start firing. They then wonder why when things pick up again they cant find any experienced workers.

The cafe I frequent here has a mining company upstairs. On Wednesday all the staff were down at the cafe having goodbye coffees...theyd just been sacked. I think I might have found some work for one of their Geos but the rest are out on the street.

Craig old mate.....comments re my stash were taken in jest. How are you going with the chem0?

Cheers Martin

sebastiaan56 wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:The mining and oil/gas industries are also moving into one of their regular downturns so as usual I go into survival draft which means less money spent on the luxuries in life. On the plus side, less work means more time for building.
Already!?! I thought there would be a few years left in the boom.

DarwinStrings
Blackwood

Post by DarwinStrings » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:40 am

Hi all

Sebastiaan mentioned "Tim's Bocote offer" ....am I too late???.... I want some for a future project as it will go well with some Acacia I have planed for a neck.

Jim

"I didn't do it"...Bart Simpson and my 6 year old son

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:56 am

Too late Jim but contact Tim and he might have something tucked away.

Cheers Martin

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:42 pm

Craig wrote:
Matthew , Daves site has a whole section on this as well as fishing !

Gotta be one of the most comprehensive sites on the planet :D
So how does one happen across this site of Dave's?

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:29 pm

Craig Lawrence

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:37 pm

So who ended up taking up Dave's very generous offer?

Hope it was the young blokes, not gonna get upset if someone else jumped on it though. Quick and the dead and all that...

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:40 pm

I've put my hand up. Maybe the "young guys" dont want to give up a weekend's night clubbing and fork out for the postage.

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:14 pm

That's life Martin. I'd have jumped on it myself, but with the baby due in four weeks, and our current debt reduction program, I don't have the postage money.

They had an opening, if they're to silly to take it, it ain't my problem.

Hope you got some sort of fire suppression system in that hanger of yours.

That raises an interesting question. What do you guys do for fire suppression systems/smoke alarms to protect your your stash.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:20 pm

I have some on the way too, Jumped in as soon as David posted

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:56 pm

Paul B wrote:
That raises an interesting question. What do you guys do for fire suppression systems/smoke alarms to protect your your stash.
Smoke detectors tied into a fully monitored alarm system. I told the boss the alarm system was for the house and the workshop is just an add-on. She hasnt yet twigged that its the other way around.

josh_cain
Sassafras

Post by josh_cain » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:28 pm

kiwigeo wrote:I've put my hand up. Maybe the "young guys" dont want to give up a weekend's night clubbing and fork out for the postage.
hahahaha its funny because the only reason i havent put my hand up is becuase im saving my money for schoolies in byron bay....youre a smart man martin
Josh.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:55 pm

Josh,

What do you think I was doing at your age???

josh_cain
Sassafras

Post by josh_cain » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:28 pm

im gonna take a completely wild guess and say drinking, partying and being a young hooligan? hha :)
Josh.