ideas-inspirations

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

jmuller92
Myrtle

ideas-inspirations

Post by jmuller92 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:00 pm

hey everyone,

got to start thinking about the headstock design for my guitar as im starting work on my neck. i really like the cole clark fat lady headstocks, if anyone had any idea how they put that sorta thing together itd be much appreciated, otherwise throw me a few posts on any pics of headstocks you like to help me get inspired :D

cheers

ap404
Myrtle

Post by ap404 » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:59 pm

Re Cole Clark headstocks ... they're made by this fellow ... :)

It's all multi cutter CNC work ( takes a few seconds per neck )

um ... not that there's anything wrong with that :)

Here's his mate cutting out some guitar bodies ...

If you are inspired by their unique carved-top headstocks, you could do some template-routing or handcarving to emulate the effect or maybe build up layers of overlaying timber onto the headstock blank. It is interesting to see the headstock face taken into the 3rd dimension, makes people want to have a closer look.

Cheers, AP
i got a hot rod ford and a two dollar bill, and i know a place right over the hill ...

www.flickr.com/photos/harvesterworks

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:00 am

Im a bit biased here as Im a bit of a mando nut. My most favouristist maker at the moment is Brian Dean, his headstocks are soooo cool http://www.labraid.ca/ also here http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showt ... 0&page=142 third post down,

Sebastiaan
make mine fifths........

josh_cain
Sassafras

Post by josh_cain » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:31 pm

you could always just take the measurements from a Cole Clark and draw a similar one on paper?
Josh.

ap404
Myrtle

Post by ap404 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:24 pm

Sebastian, those headstocks are great ... they remind me of the heads from german 'wandergitarres' and guitar lutes from the turn of the ( last ) century. I had a friend with a German electric double bass with the same square faced headstock.

I too am getting a bit obsessed with mandos lately, I just have to supress the urge until I finish a few more things that I've started already around here ... in the meantime I've loaded up the Ipod with Bill Monroe and Stanley Brothers songs. ( I can't get at my record collection at the moment, it's killing me ).

... back to the headstocks tho - you could easily make up a jig for the router to follow a similar shape to the Cole Clark relief carving. I would suggest making it an original shape tho ( also the Cole Clark h/stock is a little wide I reckon ).

I have a notebook for doodling guitar designs that I carry around for when I'm stuck on a tram or at work or something... I've drawn hundred's of headstocks and sometimes I'll blow them up to full size to check that the strings will line up okay. Most guys will tell you that when it comes to designing things for instuments you have to live with the design for a while ( maybe look at it crosseyed now and then ) to see if it'll 'fly'.

Cheers, AP
i got a hot rod ford and a two dollar bill, and i know a place right over the hill ...

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:34 pm

AP,

Check out http://dawgnet.com/ Dave Grisman is probably the living treasure of mando at the moment. He offers a free download every day! My gig is acoustic type jazz and Grisman is the man check out http://www.davidgrisman.com/acd_html/genre.html for his offerings. He sells his records by download BTW.
make mine fifths........

ap404
Myrtle

Post by ap404 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:13 am

Thanks, Sebastian ... I'll have a listen later and PM you. I know Grisman mostly for being 'Old and In The Way'

Cheers, AP

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:58 pm

nah, thats me.......
make mine fifths........

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:58 pm

sorry to hijack this topic and turn it into a monsters of mandolin thread but...I really like this guy
Chris Thile

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=XAtfDv5pW7o

as far as CNC's and lutherie your always listening for the sound that says .................duck

jmuller92
Myrtle

Post by jmuller92 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:30 pm

haha thats cool. i think ill go with something like the cole clark shaped headstock. is this something handcarveable? could anyone give me an insight into making something like this, as i haven't really done any hand carving before lol.

jake

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:52 am

jmuller92 wrote:haha thats cool. i think ill go with something like the cole clark shaped headstock. is this something handcarveable? could anyone give me an insight into making something like this, as i haven't really done any hand carving before lol.

jake
making a jig for a router to do it would be the way to go ...as AP suggested earlier