Good Weekend

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Lillian
Blackwood

Good Weekend

Post by Lillian » Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:47 pm

Well, it was a good weekend, all in all. I knocked together a Sylvan/Wells rosette cutter, a gramil for Jake and started thinning a set of walnut sides. The sides have a bit of wild grain. Just enough wildness to cause a some of tear out. The card scraper works a treat but my forearms feel like they should belong to Popeye. They were at .130 when I started. They are only down to about .100 now, so I still have a bit to go. But if nothing else, they are hammering home the fact that I need to get a thickness sander put together. I have all the bits and pieces, but just haven't gotten around to doing it. I think it just got closer to the top of that TO DO list.

Sorry about the photo, the camera was dropped and we haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

Jake, it'll go out in the mail on Wednesday.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:39 pm

Hey Lillian,

Nice looking gramil.....might have a go at making one myself.

For rogue grained sides I use a scraper plane.....better for removing large amounts of material than the cabinet scrapers and you dont get cooked fingers. Ive got two scraper planes...a flashy new Veritas and my favourite...an old Miller Falls job from the 1940's.

Cheers

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:23 pm

Very nice Gramil there Lillian. The drum sander is the most indispensable tool in my shop now. God knows how you'd ever go without one after using it for even one guitar.

For some really nice planes, that you can use as a scraper plane as well, just by flipping over the blade, have a look at the HNT Gordon Planes.

I bought one of his bargain planes that is the best plane I've ever used. For those that haven't used a wooden plane like these, they are dead easy to adjust. The tiniest tap with a mallet on the front or back of the plane is all it takes to adjust the blade.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:48 pm

Yep, I'm with Allen on the Gordon Planes. Beautiful tools.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

jmuller92
Myrtle

Post by jmuller92 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:00 pm

hey lillian, very nice looking gramil :) cant wait to get my hands on it :)

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:04 pm

Beautiful looking work Lillian my friend and it matches my cowboy outfit and Dyson vac too.

Were you a Popeye fan as a child? If so me too. I used to pound potato chips during the theme song when Popeye was eating spinach.... :D

josh_cain
Sassafras

Post by josh_cain » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:09 pm

is there instructions anywhere on how to make a gramil? it doesnt look to hard so i'd be keen to give it a shot
Josh.

James Mc
Blackwood

Post by James Mc » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:29 pm

Gordon planes are bloody nice… but for a not bad budget option Mujingfang are hard to go past (pick them up for under $40).

Yep nice gramil and on ya for doing that for the lad.

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:41 pm

Thank you gentlemen. It turned out alright. The proof of course is in the pudding, so Jake will have to pass judgment on it.

Josh, I don't know of any instructions out there. I copied the one I have, which is made out of metal. If I were to make another one of these, I'd make the body deeper and put the wedge in from the side, or use a thumb screw. It really wasn't hard to make though. When I get home tonight I'll see if I can put together a mock up so you get the idea. The part that made this a success for me was that I happened to have a couple of set screws on hand, which is what I used to hold the blade in place. I used some dense wood that I found in my small scraps box. The rest is walnut and purpleheart. And that was because they were the right thickness already.

Hesh, of course I loved Popeye. He wasn't handsome, tall or especially bright, but he always came out the winner. I guessed his taste in women, but he seemed happy enough. I'll have to see about doing your favorite color combo for you. I have the purpleheart, but need to find something that is dense enough for the pink. I have some spaulted maple that might work. Have to see if Woodcrafters has any pink ivory in stock.

Allen, Dominic, I've been all over the Gordon site. Sweet planes. They remind me of Knight Toolworks, but better. I can't find the scraper plane, but I'll start looking for one on this side of the pond.

An Old Miller, hmmm. Those I've seen on eBay. Thanks Martin for the suggestion. I'll keep a lookout for one. But until then, I need to work on my card sharpening technique.

Its off to work for me.

Localele

Post by Localele » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:58 am

Lillian ,If you take the blade out of a HNT Gordon smoothing plane and put it back in with the sharpened bevel facing forward it is then a scraping plane with the blade coming through the sole at 90 deg.In normal mode with the bevel facing back it is 60 deg. and will still plane very hard and cranky wood with ease.Craftsman Studios carry some over your side of the ocean.

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:12 am

Lillian,

I love handmade tools. That gramil is goregeous!

All the best with your current guitar build. :)

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:32 am

Lillian, I believe that almost all the HNT Gordon planes will operate as a scraping plane.

I've also got the block plane and it works this way. One thing to note about them, is the plane iron is much thicker than on most opther planes. It is so much stiffer than my other planes. No flex at all, and although it might be minor in other planes, the design of these just make them operate so much better.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:14 am

Lillian ,
What a fantastic little gramil. Beautifully made ( and I love the Purple :D ) . Above all though , a wonderful gesture Lillian.

Cheers Craig
Craig Lawrence

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:10 am

Lilian, I belive you have just out-purpled Hesh.

josh_cain
Sassafras

Post by josh_cain » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:58 pm

thanks, lillian, but i got a set of instructions from Alan (ozziebluesman)
ta
josh
Josh.

joel
Blackwood

Post by joel » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:42 pm

That is a very nice looking tool you've made there Lillian. I might just have to make one for myself once my uni exams are finished for the year. Any extra info you could give about how you made it would be greatly appreciated.
- If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs. - David Daye.

- The mouth of a happy man is filled with beer. -

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:47 pm

Localele, Allen. thanks that's good to know. I'll put HNT Gordon into the "One Day" file.

Thank you Sam, and thanks, I can use all the well wishes. This is going to go slow I can tell. On the bright side, I don't have to worry about getting a gym membership.

Thank you Craig. I didn't intend for it to be so, well, so bright, but that's what I had handy. I'm glad you like it.

I don't know about that Martin. While the purple is holding its color, I didn't have any pink. I'll have to see what I can do to remedy that.

Good to hear Josh.