Vacuum in the wokshop

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Dominic
Blackwood

Vacuum in the wokshop

Post by Dominic » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:36 pm

Ok, maybe I should get back to talking about more technical things like hot hide glue that we can all agree on. :)

I've been mucking around with vacuum in my workshop ever since I read the story in the GAL journal about Charles Fox's vacuum setup.

I got a pump locally and got a kit from Joewoodworker web site that gives you all the stuff to build a cycling system like a compressor so it does not run continuously. Check out the web site for details. They have comprehensive plans.

I housed it in a mobile box with power outlets for tools. I used 2 empty propane tanks for the primary and buffer storage tanks but the web site has lots of different ideas including using pvc pipe. Its pretty cool.

This hooks up to what ever attachments you want.
Here is my holding jig. The large disk holds the back for working on the sides. This is very powerful grip. You would break the guitar before you ripped it off so long as the vacuum seal is good.

Taps let you back off the pressure and turn the guitar before the vacuum fully lets go to get to a different section. It works very smoothly.

And the small disks are flexible and will conform to the shape of either the top or the back.

And I have an LMI bridge clamp jig. Here it is with a pencil to show you how it conforms and places even pressure on every sq mm.

To make the large and small disk I first made a ply positive form in my 15 ft radius dish. I covered that with sand paper and used that to make a smaller copy of the 15 ft dish. You need to match it your back radius because it will distort your back if it is a different radius. The large one is covered in cork with closed cell foam in a small groove around the edge and routed grooves so the vacuum can get out to the edge so the whole surface is working.
The small disks are white chopping board plastic also with closed cell foam also in grooves. The grooves give the foam somewhere to retreat to under compression without totally crushing. Check out Charles' article if you can.

The next thing I need to do is make a press for the top and back braces. The benefits are that you can totally pre carve your braces and the clamping pressure is even on every part of the brace, even very thin feathered down ends. As Mr Fox says, it avoids hot spots from go-bars.
I have some rubber sheet from LIM. I'll let you know how it goes.
Cheers
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:05 pm

ingenious. I'm wondering how many extra m2 i'd have to build to scale that up to double bass size.

I'd be very nervous about using that large disk as vertical back clamp though. What if the vacuum lets go? What's the failsafe??

sebastiaan56
Blackwood

Post by sebastiaan56 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:10 pm

OK that is very cool Dominic, one more reason to get a proper shed going
make mine fifths........

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:23 pm

Looks bloody cool Dom . I put a sheet of foam rubber on the floor whenever I think there is an opportunity for a mishap. I'm sure you'll explore a lot more of it's capabilities mate . Keep us all posted .

Man , this is turning out to be quite a workshop ! :D

Cheers
Craig Lawrence

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:39 pm

Dont let Hesh near it in his shorts.......

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:53 pm

I had look at this about a year ago, and thought it would be a great idea to have, but just didn't jump on board. Really pleased that you have and looking forward to see what sort of things you end up using it for. Please keep us all informed about your progress, and thoughts about its usefulness.

Do you have a rough idea of what you have invested in the set up? And is it something that pretty well anyone could put together?
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:32 pm

Heres my vacuum set up. The only tricky part is getting the b***rd to let go of the guitar.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:36 pm

Martin, now if you can just get your setup to stop smashing guitars against the wall your set. :wink:

All, there is plenty of stored vacuum in the buffer tanks in case the pump stops but it would be easy to put a shelf or as Craig says a bit foam on the floor if you are worried. My confidence has grown the more I use it.

Allen, the kit was about $120 including post but the ER was better. That included a bunch brass fittings that you could get here. It is just easier using the whole kit. All the bits are threaded and screw together with thread tape. Easy.
The pump cost about 250 new and the 20l tanks cost about 30. In total about the same as a compressor set up. The white hose and fittings are cheap.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:07 pm

That's a truly ingenious setup there Dom. On the other hand Martin, I think yours could be a little cantankerous and a little unpredictable. :lol:

That workshop is really coming together , Dom. Well done :wink:

cheers, Stu

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:35 pm

kiwigeo wrote:Dont let Hesh near it in his shorts.......
No worries it probably leaves hickeys........ :D Not that I know this for sure or from personal experience mind you.......:)

I'm safer sticking with my beloved shop-vac named Monica.......Image

Stu
Blackwood

Post by Stu » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:47 pm

Hesh1956 wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:Dont let Hesh near it in his shorts.......
No worries it probably leaves hickeys........ :D Not that I know this for sure or from personal experience mind you.......:)

I'm safer sticking with my beloved shop-vac named Monica.......Image
Gee, Monica really sucks............err...blows :lol:
Hmm, I feel the need for a cigar comin' on.

cheers, Stu

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:40 am

Hesh, have you ever checked out a Rainbow vacuum? They use water as their filter.

Rod True
Siberian Tiger

Post by Rod True » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:42 pm

Dom that is awesome. I have a vacuum pump and I'm looking forward to getting it set up and using it.

Jim Olson has a great "holder" or fail safe on his body holder. It's very simple and looks darn good too (even Jim's jigs look like $10K jigs)

Here it is off his website

"I wish one of the voices in your head would tell you to shut the hell up." - Warren De Montegue