Aesthetic Opinions Please

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Craig
Admin

Aesthetic Opinions Please

Post by Craig » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:55 pm

After seeing Jeff's Adj. neck strap pin , I've come up with a few versions of my own for my T. Myrtle project using my verticle lathe ( drillpress :lol: ). Trouble is , I can't decide which one I like best , so I would really appreciate your opinion here .

You'll have to ignore the rear washers in these pics. I intend to have a solid round brass plate of similar dimensions , but radiused at the rear to suit the heel's profile.

ImageImage

ImageImage

And last , with no strap pin at all.

Whatdoyareckon ??

Cheers guys,
Last edited by Craig on Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Lawrence

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:04 pm

The last one lights my fire.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:59 pm

I really dig 2 and 3.
4 is fine too
1 doesn't float my boat
You are inspiring me to do something a bit nore stylish with mine

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:00 pm

Last one for me to Craig. 8)

James Mc
Blackwood

Post by James Mc » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:27 pm

I like 5 but if you were going to have a strap pin then 3 does it for me.

Dominic
Blackwood

Post by Dominic » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:32 pm

I like number 3. But they are all very cool.
Dom
You can bomb the world to pieces,
but you can't bomb the world to peace!

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Fri Oct 31, 2008 6:34 pm

I suppose if you want or need a strap button then 2, 3 and 4 are my choices. I'd have to see how much of the Tiger Myrtle there is going to be on the rest of the instrument before I committed to more in the strap button though. If you were going with gold tuners and perhaps gold fret wire, then the brass button on #4 would probably look the best, but if you were going with black knobs on your tuners then the black button may do the trick. All of this probably doesn't help a bit though eh?

My favorite is no strap button at all. as in your last one.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

gratay
Blackwood

Post by gratay » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:03 pm

I like 2 and 3..
I also like the last one but if you had to have a strap button as well it may look to busy..
So 2 & 3 for the kill 2 birds w/one stone approach.

Hesh1956
Blackwood

Post by Hesh1956 » Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:03 pm

Wow Craig my friend you do superb work!

As for which knob job..... I like best it would be the black one.

Dennis Leahy
Blackwood

Post by Dennis Leahy » Sat Nov 01, 2008 2:06 am

Wow, what a nice collection of alternates! I think you could sell all of them to builders.

For me, I like the rounded (torus?) shape of 2, 3, and 4, better than #1, for those instruments with a strap button, and your external adjuster with no strap button is a class act.

Your aesthetic for the one with no strap button is so well-executed that it has demonstrated to me an effective alternative approach to internal adjustment of an adjustable neck. However, the ones with the integrated strap button, effectively disguising the external neck adjuster as "just" a strap button, elevates the concept to a new plateau.

Brilliant, beautiful work!

Due to the relative neutrality of Ebony, I'd say make some up in Ebony, with matching rear strap buttons (offering an alternative for a 1/4" jack), and take these to market. I know I'd buy some.

Dennis
Another damn Yank!

Stephen Kinnaird
Blackwood

Post by Stephen Kinnaird » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:21 am

Tiger Myrtle button, Craig, if it'll be on a Tiger Myrtle heel.
You don't want to get too many different colors going on there.

Great stuff, amigo.

Steve
There are some great woods, down under!

Sam Price
Blackwood

Post by Sam Price » Sat Nov 01, 2008 4:21 am

The tiger myrtle button #3 looks stunning.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:25 am

Craig,
Rather tham trying to shape the base to the heel curvature why dont you just drill an appropriate size hole and recess most of a thicker (10mm?), flat "washer"

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:52 am

It depends on the rest of your appointments.

I reckon the only bindings that suit Tiger Myrtle are Ebony or Tiger Myrtle itself, so I'd choose the button to match.
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

Dave White
Blackwood

Post by Dave White » Sat Nov 01, 2008 8:49 am

Craig,

Would it possible to make the strap-pin that covers the adjusting nut to be all wood rather than wood and brass? No's 2 & 3 done all tyger myrtle or tyger myrtle knob with ebony shaft and back washer would look stunning imho. Fabulous invention and craftsmanship as always!!
Dave White
[url=http://www.defaoiteguitars.com]De Faoite Stringed Instruments[/url]

Taffy Evans
Blackwood

Post by Taffy Evans » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:32 am

Craig

All good stuff, for me the wood finish pins do it for me, and mostly the ebony. I like the idea of the no pin version. I just finished a guitar with the strap pin in the heal position and it got in the way of high register playing for this customer. Nice work, wish I had more time to play with ideas.
Taff

Paul B

Post by Paul B » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:44 am

Awesome work Craig. The first one doesn't do a lot for me, but the others are all outstanding.

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:07 am

Dave White wrote:Craig,

Would it possible to make the strap-pin that covers the adjusting nut to be all wood rather than wood and brass? No's 2 & 3 done all tyger myrtle or tyger myrtle knob with ebony shaft and back washer would look stunning imho. Fabulous invention and craftsmanship as always!!

Dave , I have had similar thoughts . Too many colour /elements in there may tend to make them look a little 'busy' .
The problem is the thinner part of the shaft and the rear bearing surface have an important job which only metal can handle . I suppose I could coat the metal parts black to match the ebony knob , but I don't like that idea at all ( reckon the coating would come off over time and look disastrous )

The all brass one ( No.4 ) alleviates a busy look , but loses the "cool factor" of the matching Tiger or Ebony knob. ,,,,My dilemma :roll:

Jeff, I've already had a go at installing a flat rear plate into a hole drilled into the heel with a fostner bit . I have a Fostner bit of the exact size as some 5/8 " brass rod I was going to use. Unfortunatley ,there must be some runout with the bit as there ended up with a very very slight gap between the dowel and heel . Not much , that's for sure , but enough to annoy me . I tryed a little moisture in the hole to swell the wood which helped , but I'm still not at all that happy with the result . Next step would be to bring down the diameter of the Fostner bit itself , which I have already done to a 1/2 " bit I have. I think I may continue to find a way to make it work , as a flat surface on the rear of the back plate makes a perfect 90 degree to the screwhole easier to achieve. This , an important consideration with bearing surfaces . There is another problem of sanding and applying finish to the heel with a hole in it. ( The hole would have to be made prior to heel shaping for a neat hole .) I thought of temporarily plugging that hole with some wood dowel of the same size whilst sanding and finishing to avoid taking " shoulders' off the holes surface edges and also not causing disruption when applying the finish. Still work in progress !

Many thanks to you folk for the very thoughtful opinions shared thus far . Grant brings up an interesting point : If I later added a strap button , to a No .5 type heel , it would look crap.Way too much happening , so I guess I've got to decide now if I want a strap pin or not ( a good part of the reason for this thread )

Some guitars don't seem to need or warrant them .I'm thinking finger style guitars , no pin ,,,, Stage guitars with pin . I have no pin on my Mahogany fingerstyle guitar , but because of this Tiger guitar's woodwork and inherit unavoidable bling it might just end up doing a stage gig requiring one . ?? I must admit to not really liking strap pins. They're in the way ,and interupt the flow of the heel. most seem to not 'belong' ,which is something I'm trying to overcome here

As to which type wood ( Ebony or Tiger ) to use on the knob , I take your points ,,,, It will depend on the other appointments . I have some wonderful Tiger bindings , headplate material and other pieces I've purchased from Tim over a period of time . So many beautiful pieces. I'm tempted to use Tiger all over ,including even the tuner buttons, bridge,Rosette , endgraft and purfling , with a thin black purfling ( maybe ornate ! ) to seperate . This may end up a little over the top considering it has a Tiger neck as well , but might be just what " sends it "

Taffy ,,, You've got to make the time !! :lol:

Cheers to you all , and once again thank you so much for your carefully considered replies thus far . I can't express how much I appreciate it . Interesting that the many prefer the no strap pin approach so far.

Onya guys !

Craig
Craig Lawrence

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:47 pm

Craig,

I think that you have done such classy job of the external neck adjustment as in number 5, that you could just stay with that to highlight the feature of your guitar having an adjustable neck. If you want a strap button as well, put it somewhere else such as on the side of the heel or into the side of the guitar where the upper bout meets the neck. To do this you only need add a small glue block to accommodate the screw to the inside surface of the side and the neck block itself.

Cheers

Kim

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:12 pm

That's a good suggestion Kim . I could use the number five , and if ever required , could put an ' all wood smaller Tiger pin in the side, like you say.
Good food for thought ,thanks mate .

Dennis , I haven't any plans of going into any form of production mate :lol: , but thanks for those very kind words , in fact , many thanks to all you guys for those kind words . Hope your not offended being thrown in with the 'guys' Sam :D

Cheers All
Craig Lawrence

Lillian
Blackwood

Post by Lillian » Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:38 am

Craig, I like all of them except for the first one. My preference is for two or three, depending on the wood used for the body. If you aren't going to match the binding or the body wood, then I'd go with your basic black model. The all brass doesn't bother me, in fact if you hadn't shown the wooden ones, I would have thought it perfect. But, given a choice, I'd rather see the wood ones grace a guitar.

If someone wanted to go from five to a strap button style, is it possible to back the bolt out and replace it? I apologize, but I don't remember the details of your design. I'm assuming that it wouldn't be a two minute process, but still, would it not be worth the effort if you could switch them out if a strap button was wanted?

No matter which one you go with, it will be a wonderful design element. Well done.

jeffhigh
Blackwood

Post by jeffhigh » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:19 am

Craig , I was about to say the same as Lillian, no reason not to have an interchangable arrangement Stap button /no strap button.

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:47 am

Isn't there a watch company that markets interchangeable straps, and bezels with one watch face? Oh, and lets not forget all those accessories to dress up your iPod. You could be onto a whole new accessory line for customizing guitars here Craig. 8)
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:23 am

Lillian wrote:Craig,

If someone wanted to go from five to a strap button style, is it possible to back the bolt out and replace it? I apologize, but I don't remember the details of your design. I'm assuming that it wouldn't be a two minute process, but still, would it not be worth the effort if you could switch them out if a strap button was wanted?

Lillian !!!! You're a bloody Genius !!!!! ,, Jeff and Allen , you're nearly genius :lol: :lol:

That's a brilliant idea Lillian ,many many thanks for that and it's what I'll adopt.! You've solved my dilemma completley !!! ,,, PHEW !

Yes , I've worked out a way I can change from strap pin ( of your choice :D ) to no strap pin in a matter of minutes. I REALLY like this idea ! ,, very very cool !

Hell ! ,,, We need more woman around here ! :lol:

What a fantastic forum we have ! :cl

Cheers all , and particularly to you Lillian !! ,
You've made my day !,,,( seriously ! ) :bh
Craig Lawrence

Craig
Admin

Post by Craig » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:28 pm

Here's what I've come up with.

From This :

To This :

All I've done is lengthen the collar on the strap pin model. It's merely a case of swapping screws if , or when required. Really simple !

Now ,,, what will it wear tomorrow ?? :lol:
Last edited by Craig on Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig Lawrence