Commission build and lining questions.....

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

nnickusa
Blackwood

Commission build and lining questions.....

Post by nnickusa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:13 pm

OK, so some friends have asked me to build a guitar for their son, Jack's, 18th birthday. You could knock me over with a feather. Gonna be done cheap for them, really just to cover costs and maybe sneak in a B/S set or two.

Jack came over yesterday and we went thru my little stash, and settled on mango (from bobthebuilder,maybe?), a AAA Sitka top from Brent Cole, Qld Maple neck from Tim, and have spoken to Graham at Loggerheads(first time, and nice to deal with) to get some ringed Mulga for the FB, bridge, linings and head plates......a picture of what I have on hand. It's pictured dry, and I think it'll really pop under lacquer.....
image.jpg
Now, my question.....I'm out of kerfed linings and am not too interested in making up a jig to make them and not sure if I really want to buy more at this time. What I do have is a big pile of the bracing from the group buy for Bearclaw tops last year.

Oops, NOW my question(s) Is there any benefit to using solid/laminated linings over kerfed? What thicknesses would you recommend, I was thinking 3mm spruce/2mm blackwood, 2mm spruce? Would they need to be bent the same as the sides? Finally, until I think of more, how would you orient the grain? with quarter into the side, or along? Don't know if you understand that distinction or not, but do I want to see the grain lines in the face of the lining from the inside, or more like a brace with the grain ....... vertical,for lack of a better word......?

As always, thanks for your help and patience......
I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am....

Cheers,
Nick

https://www.facebook.com/pages/DMI-hand ... 744?ref=hl

nnickusa
Blackwood

Re: Commission build and lining questions.....

Post by nnickusa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:46 pm

OK, I just read thru Allen's tute on how he does his, but the dimensions ought to be somewhat bigger for a guitar, than a uke, no? I thought to have a sort-of Art Deco step design, the first, 3mm(covers the ends of the side braces at the same thickness) at 8-10mm, then the blackwood at 6-8mm, and the top spruce at 4-6mm. Gives a big top side at 7mm, but ought to look pretty nice thru the soundhole....

Cheers,
Nick

Bruce McC
Blackwood

Post by Bruce McC » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:12 pm

Hi Nick

I have used laminated linings on four of the five guitars that I have made,
because like you I had no kerfed linings on hand. As I have limited experience
as a guitar maker I offer no comment as to any benefit of solid linings over
kerfed or visa versa.

I used what ever material I had on hand, this included blackwood, meranti
and mahogany. Not all of the material was quater sawn. It was just ripped into strips
12 x 3, with the grain running in the same direction as the sides, then thickness sanded
to remove saw marks so the finished thickness varied from 1.5 to 2.5mm. (Tritons can be
a bit rough). The stips were taped together side by side, bent in a side bender using the
same proforma as the guitar, then glued together into sets to make four laminated linings.
I rounded the bottom edge of each lining on a router table.

If the lining needs tweaking to fit the side, just cut a few kerfs in the back edge of the lining
where necessary.
Bruce Mc.

nnickusa
Blackwood

Post by nnickusa » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 pm

Cheers Bruce.....I thought as much, but.......

Cheers,
Nick

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:59 pm

nnickusa wrote: Is there any benefit to using solid/laminated linings over kerfed?
The benefit is that you don't have to cut the kerfs. I know this sounds like a stupid answer, but I think the reason kerfed lining was invented was a result of searching an easier way to bend the linings. Another method used in the 19th century (and I guess also before) was using the green-stick fracture technique instead of kerfing it (the latter technique being a quite crude one, for example has been used by Torres at least twice one today still existent guitars, mentioned by José L. Romanillos 1987/97 and Richard E. Bruné 2008).
nnickusa wrote: What thicknesses would you recommend,
Enough thick to host the binding "plus a bit more" in order to not run the risk to cut through when routing the binding ledge? Why make it much bulkier than this?
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

EricDownunder
Blackwood

Post by EricDownunder » Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:07 pm

i know I have little experience with linings however my first build uses laminated linings (4x1.1-2) making the lining around 4.5mm -4.8mm, It was achieved by making a two part mold clamping the lining between the result is a perfect fit and all exactly the same, if interested I could post some pics that is where I am with this build the material used was a low grade spruce. Looks nice against rosewood? sides
Keep Smiling,
Eric Smith

P Bill
Blackwood

Post by P Bill » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:29 am

[quote="afshar"]Hi Nick

I have used laminated linings on four of the five guitars that I have made,
because like you I had no kerfed linings on hand. As I have limited experience
as a guitar maker I offer no comment as to any benefit of solid linings over
kerfed or visa versa.

I used what ever material I had on hand, this included blackwood, meranti
and mahogany. Not all of the material was quater sawn. It was just ripped into strips
12 x 3, with the grain running in the same direction as the sides, then thickness sanded
to remove saw marks so the finished thickness varied from 1.5 to 2.5mm. (Tritons can be
a bit rough). The stips were taped together side by side, bent in a side bender using the
same proforma as the guitar, then glued together into sets to make four laminated linings.
I rounded the bottom edge of each lining on a router table.

Same reasons as Bruce and others. Something about making and using kerfed lining I don't like.
I used Euro Beech, it bends without steam and I have enough odds and sods to go for awhile.
Top and back lining in one go ( 32mm tall ) I lam. in the mould ( with a spacer strip to account for side thickness) and rip on the bandsaw after.
"Were you drying your nails or waving me good bye?" Tom Waits

Bill