Hide Glue Blues

Talk about musical instrument construction, setup and repair.

Moderators: kiwigeo, Jeremy D

Pete Brown
Blackwood

Hide Glue Blues

Post by Pete Brown » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:36 pm

Like many others here do, I ordered some high-clarity 192 gram strength hide glue from Tools for Working Wood in the U.S. My order for 2 pounds was quickly dispatched and found its way to our shores a few days ago. Great service, as I've come to expect from U.S. suppliers.

It's interesting to read through some of the archived threads to discover that, although Customs are in the habit of inspecting packages, they invariably find their way to the recipient. In my own case, however, some over-zealous Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service prat has deemed that my package poses a threat to the continued survival of the country's cattle herds. My annoyance is tempered by the fact that they're willing to destroy the glue for FREE! Alternatively, they'll ship it back to the U.S if I cough up $42.50 (freight from the U.S was $25).

I'll ring AQIS tomorrow and politely enquire as to whether they'll review their decision. I've also contacted the supplier asking whether they're aware of similar reports or can offer a suggestion as to how a package might be identified so as to avoid scrutiny if I risk another order.

Has anyone here had similar problems?

Cheers
Pete :evil:
Last edited by Pete Brown on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TKAY
Kauri

Re: Hide Glue Blues

Post by TKAY » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:51 pm

Is it perhaps more the fact that it is a "biological product"? Tom

matthew
Blackwood

Post by matthew » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:58 pm

it is also a product made by heating animal hides to boiling point which will kill any pathogens. Also, it is freely available here from local suppliers but i bet it is all imported.

I think you're just unlucky. Mine came through without a problem.

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:17 pm

This is crap.....I had a box of exactly the same glue opened and then resealed by AQIS.

Fair enough let's have regulations to protect out country but lets apply them fairly and consistantly.

Yes contest it and let us now how you go.
Martin

Pete Brown
Blackwood

Post by Pete Brown » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:38 pm

kiwigeo wrote:This is crap.....I had a box of exactly the same glue opened and then resealed by AQIS.

Fair enough let's have regulations to protect out country but lets apply them fairly and consistantly.

Knowing that a lot of you guys use this stuff is the reason I'm so frustrated. As you say Martin, if the regulations were applied consistently I wouldn't have a problem with it - I wouldn't have wasted my money in the first place.

I'll report back after I've pleaded my case. :roll:

Cheers
Pete

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:40 am

Pete Brown wrote:
kiwigeo wrote:This is crap.....I had a box of exactly the same glue opened and then resealed by AQIS.

Knowing that a lot of you guys use this stuff is the reason I'm so frustrated. As you say Martin, if the regulations were applied consistently I wouldn't have a problem with it - I wouldn't have wasted my money in the first place.

I'll report back after I've pleaded my case. :roll:

Cheers
Pete
Good luck with that Pete,

I reckon the most you are likely to achieve is to trigger an email SIB to all AQIS staff reminding them to be on the look out for this hideous contraband going forward as it has been bought to the attention of management that some complacent staff have been dropping the ball on this product. In bureaucracy it is always about moving forward, they are never 'wrong', their just 'learning'. It is that very attitude which prevents them from ever taking a step back on the decision of a colleague who is 'technically' correct but 'practically' a pillock.

Bottom line, be careful of what you wish for. Achieving consistent disappointment would be a far worse outcome than the current arrangement which sees most AQIS staff viewing dry HHG crystals as the inert substance it is, rather than the animal derived alien protein (gelatine) that they are told to exclude and which, technically speaking, HHG truly is.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers

Kim

Pete Brown
Blackwood

Post by Pete Brown » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:57 am

Kim wrote:Bottom line, be careful of what you wish for.
Bottom line, they'll stand by their decision and I'll order some of U-Beaut's pearl hide glue instead. It probably lacks the clarity, and its gram strength is an unknown, but I have to justify the purchase of that baby bottle warmer somehow!

Cheers
Pete

Kim
Admin

Post by Kim » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:10 am

Pete,

I know it probably came across that way, but I am not saying that you should not approach, I just saying that you should be prepared for them to stand by their man..After all, it is the done thing :wink:

Cheers

Kim

Allen
Blackwood

Post by Allen » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:51 am

An order that Micheal and I had last year of 5 lbs had the same fate as yours Pete. No recourse. We haven't to order more since.
Allen R. McFarlen
https://www.brguitars.com
Facebook
Cairns, Australia

liam_fnq
Blackwood

Post by liam_fnq » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:29 am

My most recent order (last October) arrived with a note saying it had been opened and inspected. I cant remember if it was AQIS or customs. It had some chisels and hide glue and made it through unscathed.

Bob Connor
Admin

Post by Bob Connor » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:52 am

Pete

I've got about 10 pounds of it here which is about a lifetime and half of use at the rate I use it so I can spare a couple of pounds if you are interested.

Send me a PM.

Regards
Bob, Geelong

Mainwaring and Connor Guitars

graham mcdonald
Blackwood

Post by graham mcdonald » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:59 am

I was talking to a friend last week whose wife works for AQIS. The discussion got round to hide glue (as it often does) and he expressed surprise that any shipments got through Customs/AQIS as it is an animal product and, in theory,they just don't allow that material into the country at all. I can ask who might be spoken to about getting good quality animal glue into the country so it isn't a lottery each time someone orders it. That 192gm stuff from Tools for Working Wood is very nice and it would be annoying if it were totally unavailable.

cheers
Graham McDonald
http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:28 am

Like most of the others here, my package was opened/inspected by AQIS & put on its way. I agree that the inconsistency is one of the most infuriating parts, so I thought that I'd jump onto the AQIS website - after all, you can pick up dried meat in the form of jerky/biltong down at your local supermarket.
The news isn't good - both commercial and non-commercial importation of animal-derived glues require an import permit & an option to whack an inspection fee on top, should your paperwork pass the first line of hoops.
More info here

Steve

ozziebluesman
Blackwood

Post by ozziebluesman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:29 am

Late last year I ordered from Tools For Working Wood a pound of the 192 hide glue, a good shellac application brush and some Behlen pumice stone. The package was opened by customs but was delivered on to me. Looks like the smaller 1 pound packages are being let through unless Customs rules have changed recently. That's real bad luck I reckon!

Cheers

Alan
"Play to express, not to impress"

Alan Hamley

http://www.hamleyfineguitars.com/

kiwigeo
Admin

Post by kiwigeo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:01 am

I see a group buy as being one way to minimise costs. Right now my work is busy and things in Christchurch post earthquake just dont seem to get any better. Once thats all dealt with I might just stick my neck and buy a sh*t load of glue....deal with AQIS/customs (and probably regret it) and then pass it on to members who need the stuff.
Martin

Steve
Blackwood

Post by Steve » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:19 pm

kiwigeo wrote:I see a group buy as being one way to minimise costs.
...I've had a bit more of a look. At $5/lb for the hide glue, it's going to have to be a...
kiwigeo wrote:sh*t load of glue
...The bastards are charging a minimum of $165 just to submit the (3-page) application for an Import Permit. Should your application be approved, it's unclear as to whether there are further inspection fees upon arrival. I reckon we may need to get someone like Carbatec, etc., in on the group-buy to get this one off the ground.
There's a fair bit of information regarding the fee structure, but I couldn't find information regarding what we are being protected against. It's a shame, but I guess no price is too high to protect the guitar-playing bovines of Australia.
Steve

Pete Brown
Blackwood

Post by Pete Brown » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:21 pm

Pete Brown wrote:I'll report back after I've pleaded my case. :roll:
No luck contacting the Bovine Protection Authority (AQIS), despite trying all day. It seems a forlorn hope anyway.
In the meantime, I've gladly accepted Bob's kind offer of a pound or two, and must thank Kim for his generous offer as well. :cl

Cheers
Pete

charangohabsburg
Blackwood

Post by charangohabsburg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:49 am

Steve wrote: , but I couldn't find information regarding what we are being protected against.
When looking up "gelatine" at the AQIS website it seems that all of this could be a residue of the BSE hype, and there would be no problem with horse gelatine, cat gelatine, dog gelatine, etc. for human consumption (it's not prohibited to glue guitars parts with gelatine, one only must not feed his canary bird, use it as fertilizer for his bonsai tonewood tree or call it glue).
Markus

To be stupid is like to be dead. Oneself will not be aware of it.
It's only the others who suffer.

woodrat
Blackwood

Post by woodrat » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:38 pm

It seems strange that it is such a hit and miss arrangement and some get caught in the net and others dont. I had 3lb of it arrive last year in a US Flat Rate envelope unopened by AQIS :D

I am glad that Bob came to the rescue for you Pete!

John
"It's never too late to be what you might have been " - George Eliot

Pete Brown
Blackwood

Post by Pete Brown » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:50 pm

woodrat wrote:I am glad that Bob came to the rescue for you Pete!
Whatever Bob is willing to part with will probably satisfy my needs for a few years. If and when it runs out, I'll be tempted to have some thrown in with an order made up of other materials. LMI, for example, usually mark their packages as "guitar tools" (I think), regardless of what's in them, and I've never once had one of their packages inspected by AQIS.

Cheers
Pete